Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Lesson in Growing Up

Dramatis Personae:

Lights up on a little GIRL picking daisies and counting the petals as she pulls them off.

GIRL.
1, 2: The reason you can't let your parents know everything about you is because they can't allow harm to come to you. They will (they must!) prevent it.
3,4: But having harm come to you is necessary to be human. Humans are roses: we have to have our dead heads chopped off in order to grow new ones.
5,6: I am my own parents. I'm too terrified to do violence to myself - too terrified that nothing will grow. And then I'll have nothing: not even a dried up rose.
7,8: I ran away today. I hopped a fence and ran across the biggest field I'd ever seen.
9, 10: I think I'll be a tragedy.

A countdown. An explosion.

END.

No comments:

Post a Comment